Sunday, 4 November 2007

Full Nest III
    This came out of my Consumer Behaviour textbook.
    It's about the different stages of the family life cycle, from singles, to married couples without kids, all the way until retired solitary survivors.

    As I read through it, it dawned on me how much my parents have given to me, right from the beginning, Full Nest I.

    "With the arrival of the first child, parents begin to change their roles in the family... leads to decline in family disposible income."

    The one that is most similar and relevant would be Full Nest III, where children are all teenagers or past that, and are pursuing higher education.

    "As the family grows older and parents enter their mid-40s, their financial position usually continues to improve... and the children earn spending and education money from occassional and part-time employment. Families also spend more on computers in this stage, buying additional PCs for their older children. Depending on where children go to college and how many are seeking higher education, the financial position of the family may be tighter than other instances."

    I knew right from the start the implications I would cause when I came over. But it seems like I needed a textbook to make me register this fact.

    I feel responsible for depriving my parents of the good life they could have.
    All the time and money they have been spending on me, they could have led a better life, lived in a nicer home, drive an orange lamborghini.
    My dad could pursue his hobbies.
    And he probably wouldn't be so stressed.

    My mum can buy anything her heart desires.
    She also wouldn't have to give up her job just to take care of us.

    My dad has always been supportive of my education and he will never let me worry about his own welfare.
    Although he has had high hopes for me, he was always patient whenever I fail.
    He never blames but always encourages.
    And I can never seem to make him happy by doing well.

    And Mummy has been there for me always, no matter what.
    She has been nothing but loving and caring towards me and I feel so sad cos I don't think I can ever love her enough to match up.
    If there was one person that loved unconditionally, it would be her.

    Oh shoots.
    Typing all this is bringing me to tears.
    This is such a kiddy post.
    But I love my mummy and pappsy.
    And I feel so blessed to have them love me and give me the best.

    Reference: -Blackwell, R. D., Miniard, P. W., Engel, J. F., 2006, 'Family and Household Influences' in Consumer Behaviour, 10th edition. Marquardt, N., Thomson South-Western, Canada, Chapter 12, page 492.
| 01:57 | |

Comments: Post a Comment