Thursday, 25 October 2007

Matchmade
    Just the other evening, at dinner, we had a conversation about matchmade couples.
    If I don't remember wrongly, I was the only one who did not have a totally negative impression about it.
    I think it's because of this Korean story I read.



    A little boy and girl were matchmade by their parents.
    When they grew up, they attended the same schools and were in the same classes.
    The girl was always bullied by the boy and his friends.
    Often, she would try to fight back.
    She hated him for picking on her.
    He hated her for her guts.


    Slowly they blossomed into two teenagers.
    Their hate for each other remained.
    It grew stronger when it was revealed that they were matchmade years ago and the time has come for their marriage.
    Both went through the ceremony with disgust and unwillingness.


    It was hard in the beginning, for her to have him around, and for him, to withstand his friends' teases.
    Each felt that the other's presence ruined their lives and dreams of true love.
    However, both accepted the fate their parents decided long ago.
    As the days went by, he noticed her warm heart and pleasing features; and she welcomed his protection and random kind gestures.
    Slowly, they saw more and more of the person they could accept, and naturally, love.
    And they thank their parents each day for the decision which gave them the best gift of their lives.


    It's very predictable, I know.
    After all, it is a story.
    But unlike the other fiction stories I've read, I put a certain percentage of hope that it can happen.
    That you might not naturally love someone from the start, but you can learn to love.
    That love actually is all around.
    Enemies, unplanned loves, they all can have their happy endings too.
| 19:48 | |

Comments: Post a Comment